boohoo social responsibility
At boohoo, we are guided by our values of passion, agility, creativity and teamwork. We pride ourselves on our inclusive culture and team spirit and we believe in operating in a fair and sustainable manner. It is important for us to run our business in a way that benefits all of our stakeholders and we seek to engage with them on a regular basis. We have a proactive programme for delivering our CSR policy which is regularly reviewed and reported upon to the Audit Committee.
boohoo’s current Ethical Trade Policy is based on the Ethical Trade Initiative (ETI) base code, which sets worldwide standards of labour practice. The ETI is an alliance of retailers, manufacturers, NGOs and trade union organisations. The Company continues to assess a number of options with regard to how it can improve upon its current ethical position, including improving its own robust standards with third party governance oversight.
boohoo’s Code of Conduct advises suppliers that:
- Employment is freely chosen: there must be no forced, bonded or involuntary prison labour. Workers should be free to leave their employer after a reasonable notice period.
- Child labour shall not be used: suppliers must not use child labour and have sufficient policies in place in relation to slavery and human trafficking.
- No harsh or inhumane treatment is allowed: physical abuse or discipline, the threat of physical abuse, sexual or other harassment, verbal abuse, or other forms of intimidation shall be prohibited.
- Suppliers must comply with local laws: boohoo expects its suppliers to be in full compliance with the laws and regulations of the countries in which they operate.
- Living wages must be paid: wages and benefits for a standard working week must meet the minimum, national legal standards or industry benchmark standards, whichever is higher.
- There should be no discrimination in the work place: discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, religion, age, disability, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, union membership or political affiliation is prohibited.
- Suppliers must comply with all relevant laws and regulations regarding the protection and preservation of the environment.
- Regular employment must be provided: to every extent possible, work performed must be on the basis of a recognised employment relationship established through national law and practice.
- Working conditions must be safe and hygienic: a safe and hygienic working environment must be provided, bearing in mind prevailing knowledge of the industry and of any specific hazards. Adequate steps shall be taken to prevent accidents and injury occurring in the course of work. Workers shall receive regular and recorded health and safety training, and such training shall be repeated for new or reassigned workers.
- Working hours must not be excessive: working hours must comply with national laws and benchmark industry standards, whichever affords greater protection.
- The supplier will conduct itself with proper business integrity: there shall be no improper advantage sought, including the payment of bribes, to secure delivery of goods or services to boohoo.
- Suppliers must co-operate with boohoo to ensure these standards are met.