boohoo social responsibility
At boohoo, we are guided by our values of passion, agility, creativity and teamwork. We pride ourselves on our inclusive culture and team spirit and we believe in operating in a fair and sustainable manner. It is important for us to run our business in a way that benefits all of our stakeholders and we seek to engage with them on a regular basis. We have a proactive programme for delivering our CSR policy which is regularly reviewed and reported upon to the Audit Committee.
We take the welfare of all of our circa 1,400 employees (January 2017) extremely seriously and we continue to invest in our people, who we encourage to develop and grow with the business.
- We encourage diversity in the workforce – last year the percentage of males was 47% and females 53% and we have 58% of senior management positions held by women.
- Our annual “your-view” all-employee survey is a key activity in employee engagement in which anonymous and honest feedback is encouraged.
- We actively seek ways to alleviate unemployment in young people and provide opportunities for young people to reach their potential.
- In 2015, 122 previously unemployed people were taken on permanently at our Burnley distribution centre, and in 2016, 322 agency employees were made permanent employees.
- We have an Employee Forum at our Burnley distribution centre which is made up of employee representatives from each shift, which meet at least once per month with the Head of Operations at Burnley.
- We pay our employees at our Burnley distribution centre at least the National Minimum Wage.
- All full time employees are paid at least the National Living Wage regardless of their age. We currently employee 280 employees under the age of 25 who are paid significantly more than the National Minimum Wage for their age category.
- We work in partnership with Burnley College to support our existing staff on apprenticeship programmes and we continue to invest in the number of apprenticeship opportunities we offer.
We are proud to give back to the local community via a number of initiatives. In 2016, boohoo raised £37,000 through colleague fundraising events and charitable donations. Highlights included:
- Events for the Pendleside Hospice in Burnley, including a boohoo sample sale which raised £7,600.
- Platinum sponsor at Graduate Fashion Week.
- Donation of approximately 30,000 units of product to local charities, resulting in estimated £80,000 of sales in charity shops.
- Boohoo has a Student Ambassador Program working with 35 students across 33 different universities in the UK. The students have a combined social reach of 358,003 contributing posts on social media using #mystudentstyle.
Last year we implemented a charity strategy centring around Teenage Cancer Trust, Ditch the Label and World Vision in the UK, together with a number of charities local to head office and the Burnley distribution centre.